Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dreams

I like to have good dreams, even strange dreams and be able to recall them upon waking.  My dreams are so unpredictable.  I can seemingly not have any for months and then have many in a night, night after night.  Sometimes I have just enough recollection to know that I did dream and that is it, no detail or story to relate. Other times, I may have had a dream that was very vivid and story-like, but trying to express it later to someone or to write about it makes me realize how much of it is hazy and morphed transformations of almost-things, almost-people and almost-places, making it very difficult to describe and maintain the same kind of validity and reality it had while asleep. 


Dreams can be very vague and yet they can still haunt me, make me feel as though there is some message of importance that I am supposed to be able to decipher from them.  Perhaps the point where my sleep and wakefulness meet is a transfer from dream consciousness to thought consciousness but instead of expertly passing the baton like a seasoned relay runner, I end up playing a game of broken telephone and guessing what the basic of the dream was, never mind an attempt of interpretation of possible meanings.


There are many people who believe in particular and varying methods of dream analysis, some seemingly generic or superstitious as to what dreams mean.  Most resources do say that interpretation is up to the individual dreamer.  The books and resources that claim that a dream of "X" is actually about "such-n-such" remain as a mystery to me, since our individual interpretation of meaning and language vary from person to person, I am not very clear on how this works, but that hasn't stopped me from curiously looking up certain dreams over the years, just to see.


Two nights ago I had a dream, although I'm pretty sure the dream was more involved or longer than what I'm about to describe, there is just one brief moment of the dream that I recall with clarity.  The strange part of it is that generally speaking, even if I have a pretty clear recall of a scene from a dream, unless it is something that I really wanted to share with someone, there is no point in mentioning it.  Like, for instance, I might tell a friend that I dreamed of them or the school they used to attend, or a bike they once owned. 


For some reason the little snippet of this particular dream, despite having no intention of sharing it with anyone, has continued to pop into my memory for the past two days.   In my dream I was reaching up onto a shelf to locate something when, somehow, my mind moved a box that was beside what I was trying to get.  Now, how did my mind do it?   I don't know.  Why I am saying that I used my powers to do this instead of coming to the conclusion that the box moved of it's own accord or by some other power... is because that was the message of my dream.  That was the knowledge or the knowing or the story part of that scene.  That the awareness I had in that moment of the dream was that I was capable of making this happen, even if I wasn't aware of the hows yet.


That picture has continued to return to me for two days now at random times, to the point that I now find myself writing about it. 
The dream seemed to be about something else entirely.  For instance, comparing it to viewing the Wizard of Oz movie and recalling only the part of the trees throwing apples misses the point of the movie.  That's what this bit was in my dream, something that was seemingly so trivial, it did not appear to be the story or point of the dream, the dream seemed to be about something else, like perhaps what I was getting down from the shelf in the first place.  


As far as dream interpretation is concerned, I plead less-than amateur status, I really know very little on the subject.  I do believe that this dream though was in fact able to pass a message along to me, a message of encouragement to continue to go for my dreams, to know I have the ability to remove obstacles, to keep on pursuing my aspirations and to know that I do have what it takes, inside of me, to make them happen.  As corny as this sounds, I believe my dream was a message to have faith and perseverance in my life's dreams and know that I do have the power to realize my dreams.


I was writing morning pages easily, I did daily readings, Lesson 4, and spent some time talking and relaxing with my son and reading with him too.


Today I am grateful for public libraries and Lipton's peach and mango white tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment